Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Miami Injury Lawyer
Call for a Free Consultation
En EspañOl
Personal Injury • Wrongful Death • Medical Malpractice
Miami Injury Lawyer > Blog > Auto Accidents > How to Seek a Property Damage Claim When a Car Accident Didn’t Result in Injuries?

How to Seek a Property Damage Claim When a Car Accident Didn’t Result in Injuries?


Most insurance claims after car accidents are made by those who sustained an injury in the crash. When someone is injured by another person or entity because of their negligence, they can file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for their injury.

In Florida, you do not even have to prove that the other party involved in your auto accident was at fault in order to recover damages. All you need to do is pursue a claim with your own insurance company. If your injury is serious and you have exhausted your insurance coverage, however, you may be able to pursue a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

But what if your car crash did not result in any injuries? Can you still file an insurance claim if you were involved in a no-injury car accident in Florida? You probably want to receive compensation for the damage to your motor vehicle and other property, which is why filing a claim may still be necessary.

Will Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover Your Property Damage?

As mentioned earlier, drivers in Florida can seek compensation for their injuries in a car accident by pursuing a claim with their own insurance company. This is known as Personal Injury Protection coverage, which is commonly referred to as PIP coverage.

However, what many Floridians do not realize is that PIP coverage does not extend to property damage. In Florida, you must prove that the other driver’s negligence caused your accident in order to seek compensation for property damage losses.

Under Florida law, all drivers are required to purchase $10,000 in property damage liability coverage in addition to $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection coverage. Property damage liability coverage is what pays for vehicle damage and other property damage losses in a car crash.

In other words, if you were involved in a no-injury auto accident in Florida, you need to file a property damage claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company in order to obtain compensation.

What Happens After Filing a Property Damage Claim in Florida?

After filing a property damage claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company, the insurer could either agree to cover your vehicle damage costs or deny your claim, arguing that you were responsible for causing the crash.

If the cost to repair your car exceeds the value of your vehicle, your car can be declared as “totaled.” In that case, the insurer must pay for the value of your car. If the at-fault party’s insurance company is trying to undervalue your claim or deny it outright, it is advised to be represented by a Miami car accident lawyer.

Do You Need an Attorney When Recovering Damages for a No-Injury Car Accident?

Many Floridians mistakenly believe that they can represent themselves when trying to seek compensation for their property damage in a no-injury car accident. In reality, it is not uncommon for insurers to offer unreasonably low settlement amounts, delay the payment of your claim, or even reject your claim.

That is why you need a Miami car accident lawyer when trying to obtain compensation for property damage in a no-injury car crash. Schedule a consultation by contacting Pita Weber Del Prado. Call at 305-670-2889.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2019 - 2023 Pita Weber Del Prado. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.