Keep Calm And Cool Behind The Wheel To Reduce Miami Car Accident Risks
Temperatures soar in Miami over the summer months and traffic dramatically increases. This can make it harder to keep your cool while behind the wheel and there is a greater likelihood for temperatures to soar. This, in turn, increases the risk of car accidents in Miami. Find out more about common yet dangerous aggressive driving behaviors and how staying calm helps protect you and your passengers.
Aggressive Driving A Common Cause Of Miami Car Accidents
According to statistics from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), over 60,000 car accidents in Miami-Dade County happen each year. These tend to spike during the summer months when drivers are more likely to get frustrated by hot temperatures and heavy traffic conditions. This can make them more likely to engage in aggressive driving behaviors, such as:
- Tailgating other motorists;
- Purposely cutting them off in traffic;
- Weaving in and out of lanes in an effort to get ahead;
- Failing to yield and running red lights or stop signs;
- Speeding and going too fast for road and traffic conditions;
- Using offensive hand gestures, yelling at other drivers, making threats, or engaging in other actions that can lead to dangerous road rage incidents.
How To Stay Calm And Protect Yourself Against Aggressive Drivers In Miami
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) warns motorists about the dangers of aggressive driving and how it can increase car accident risks. They offer a variety of tips that can help to protect you, your passengers, and others on the road. These include:
- Allow yourself plenty of time to reach your destination: Rushing or running late increases frustration.
- Pick an alternate route: If you know traffic will likely be heavy, pick another route.
- Be courteous of others: Avoid engaging in driving behaviors that are either dangerous or likely to irritate other motorists.
- Allow plenty of space: Keep a decent amount of distance between you and others on the road.
FDOT advises that if you do encounter an aggressive driver, avoid trying to compete or otherwise engaging with them in any way. Switch lanes and allow them to pass, or pull over at the next safe public location if you feel they pose a serious threat, and notify law enforcement.
Injured By An Aggressive Driver? Contact Our Miami Car Accident Lawyers
Aggressive driving poses risks to you and others on the road. Unfortunately, this type of behavior increases in the summer months and makes car accidents in Miami more likely to happen. Keeping your cool and being considerate of other motorists helps reduce the risks. However, you cannot control the behavior of other drivers.
When aggressive behavior on their part leaves you or someone you love suffering serious personal injuries, you have the right to hold them accountable. At Pita Weber & Del Prado, we provide the caring support and trusted legal guidance you need in filing a claim. To request a consultation with our Miami car accident lawyers, call 305-670-2889 or contact our office online today.