Back To School Safety Tips For Parents
For parents, the end of summer heralds the beginning of another school year. In the midst of rushing to get ready and completing back to school shopping trips, it is important to make time to review common safety hazards. Personal injuries due to pedestrian accidents and sports or recreational activities are among the most serious concerns. Our Miami personal injury lawyer offers some simple back to school tips that can help keep your child safe.
Protecting Children Against Pedestrian Accidents In Miami
For children in the Miami-Dade County School District, classes resume on August 17, 2022. While parents are rushing to make sure they have clothes, notebooks, and other supplies they need, take time to review some standard safety precautions as well.
Florida Sheriffs Association advises parents to teach children about back to school safety. This includes making sure they know important phone numbers, agreeing on a password in the event someone other than you needs to pick them up, and how to handle bullies or other common situations. It is also important to emphasize the importance of the ‘buddy system’ and never to walk alone. In addition to stranger danger, pedestrian accidents are a serious risk. Safety tips to help protect them include:
- If they walk to school: Review routes, the importance of remaining on sidewalks, and crosswalk rules in advance.
- If they take the bus: Make sure they get to the bus stop early, stand at least six paces back from the road, and make eye contact with the driver before attempting to cross.
- If you drive your children to school: Review your school district’s specific plan and avoid picking them up or dropping them off across the street or at other undesignated locations.
Preventing Sports And Recreational Accidents
Alongside pedestrian accident risks, sports and recreational accidents are another serious concern during the school year. They are one of the most common causes of personal injuries among children. To protect them, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises parents to follow these tips:
- Carefully review all the details regarding any sports or recreational activities your child is involved in;
- Meet the coaches, assistants, and others involved and make sure they know to contact you immediately in the event of any type of accident or injury;
- Assess the facilities or grounds and the types of safety equipment that will be used;
- Make sure your child receives proper training and is required to warm up before play.
When Accidents Happen, Our Miami Personal Injury Lawyer Is Here To Help
Despite your precautions, pedestrian accidents and other common causes of personal injuries involving children can still happen. When they do, Pita Weber Del Prado is here to help you in filing a claim. For trusted legal guidance in holding those at fault accountable and in getting the compensation you need for medical costs and other expenses, call 305-670-2889 or contact our Miami personal lawyer online to request a consultation today.