National Safety Month: Protecting Yourself Against Slips And Falls In Miami
Slip and fall accidents in Miami are one of the most common causes of personal injuries. They often happen in public places, particularly during the summer months. Unfortunately, negligence on the part of property owners is frequently to blame. Our Miami premises liability lawyer explains how they occur, what to do in the aftermath and your rights in filing a premises liability claim.
How Slip and Fall Accidents In Miami Happen
National Safety Month is held each year. Sponsored by the National Safety Council (NSC), it calls attention to common risks and raises awareness of otherwise preventable personal injuries. Each week, the NSC focuses on a different topic. The last week of the month is dedicated to preventing slip and fall accidents.
Slips and falls are no minor accidents. The NSC warns that they are one of the leading causes of personal injuries and the second leading cause of accidental deaths. Common places for them to happen, particularly during the summer months in Miami include:
- In grocery stores, due to spills and condensation from air conditioning;
- In shopping centers, due to cluttered aisles and items left on floors;
- In restaurants, due to overcrowded conditions;
- At hotels and resorts, due to damaged floors, lack of proper landscaping, or other issues;
- At outdoor attractions, due to a lack of proper safety precautions.
When any type of slip and fall accident in Miami occurs, notify the property owner immediately and make sure an accident report is filed. Even if you do not appear injured, seek medical attention immediately. Many potentially serious personal injuries have symptoms that can take hours or even days to fully appear. Not getting medical care endangers your health and your rights in filing a premises liability claim.
Your Rights In Filing A Premises Liability
Under the Florida Statutes, property owners have a duty to address maintenance issues within a reasonable time frame and warn visitors to the premises when potentially dangerous conditions exist. When they fail to do so and slip and fall accidents happen as a result, you have the right to hold them liable in a claim.
In many cases, the property owner will have insurance in place to help compensate you for your losses. If they are uninsured or your slip and fall injuries are severe, you may have the right to file a premises liability lawsuit against them. Compensation available includes:
- Coverage of current medical bills;
- Compensation for future medical costs and any physical rehabilitation you are likely to require;
- Reimbursement for lost wages;
- Compensation for future lost earnings in the event of long-term disabilities;
- Compensation for your pain, suffering, and any lost enjoyment in life you experience.
Contact Our Miami Premises Liability Lawyer Today
Injuries suffering due to slip and fall accidents in Miami can impact you for years into the future. At Pita Weber Del Prado, we help you get the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. Call 305-670-2889 or contact our Miami premises liability lawyer online to request a consultation today.