Recovery From Serious Personal Injuries In Miami
Serious personal injuries in Miami can take long months or even years to recover from. When they happen due to negligence on the part of others, you have the right to hold those at fault accountable. Our Miami personal injury attorneys explain how to get the total amount you need to recover in a claim.
Common Types of Serious Personal Injuries
Car, bike, and pedestrian accidents, motorcycle accidents, boating accidents, and slips, falls, or other mishaps that occur on another’s property are all leading causes of personal injuries in Miami. They can do major harm, leaving you unable to work and requiring medical treatment for months or years after. Common types of serious personal injuries include:
- Multiple broken bones and severe fractures, requiring lengthy immobilization and surgeries;
- Back and neck injuries, resulting in chronic pain and increased likelihood of re-injury;
- Head injuries, resulting in physical, emotional, and cognitive impairments;
- Crushing injuries, causing damage to limbs or internal organs;
- Amputations, resulting in permanent disabilities;
- Spinal cord injuries, causing partial or complete paralysis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the total cost of personal injuries in the United States is over $4.2 billion each year. When they occur due to the reckless actions of others, you have the right to seek compensation in a claim.
How To Get Compensation For Serious Personal Injuries In Florida
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your injuries, the at-fault party may have insurance to help offset expenses. However, coverage limits often fall far short of the total amount needed to recover from serious personal injuries. Rather than having to pay the excess out-of-pocket, filing a personal injury lawsuit is a better option.
Under the Florida Statutes, you have the right to hold those at-fault accountable for any current and future costs you are likely to incur as a result of their negligence. Compensation available includes:
- Economic damages: These cover actual costs and include current and future medical expenses, rehabilitation, modifications to your home due to long-term disabilities, current lost income, and any future losses in earnings and benefits you are likely to experience.
- Non-economic damages: These compensate you for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering. They also include amounts for scarring and disfigurement, loss of enjoyment in life due to being unable to engage in your usual hobbies and activities, and loss of consortium and companionship suffered by your spouse.
If the at-fault party’s actions were grossly negligent, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Designed to punish those at fault, they can total up to three times the amount of other compensation you receive or $500,000, whichever is greater.
Our Miami Personal Injury Lawyers Get Compensation For You
Why should you have to pay out-of-pocket for personal injuries you suffer due to someone’s negligence? At Pita, Weber & Del Prado, we get you the total amount you need to recover. Call 305-670-2889 or contact our Miami personal injury lawyers online and request a consultation to discuss how we can help you today.