40 Year Re-Certification and Surfside Condo Collapse
PWD ACTION TAKEN SO FAR IN SURFSIDE CONDO COLLAPSE
- Representing Victims Pro-Bono
- PWD appointed to Surfside Leadership and Litigation Team
- Retained Major Forensic Structural Engineering Firm
- Sued the Condo Assoc.
- Served Discovery on Condo Assoc. to Identify other Responsible Parties and obtain Relevant Documents, Photos, etc.
- Preparing Subpoenas that will be served as soon as Rules of Court permit
- Insurance and Evidence Preservation Demand to Condo Assoc.
- Insurance and Evidence Preservation Demand to Engineering Group
- Public Records Request to Town of Surfside
- Public Records Request to Miami-Dade County
- Public Records Request to Florida International University Re Environmental Study that highlighted problems with the Condo Building
We are continuing to take action every day in the pursuit of truth.
PWD understands 40 Year Re-Certification in Miami-Dade County. The County requires that the structural integrity be certified every 40 years. Our weather beats up structures, especially in our coastal areas. Engineering firms are hired to do this and make structural fixes for certification.
In this Surfside, FL Condo collapse the building was 40 yrs old and undergoing certification. Fixes were being implemented and the structure somehow collapsed. We do not believe this is a coincidence. We are proud that we have been retained by a family in this matter & we will fight to find the truth.
In 2013, PWD was lead counsel in the Shuckers Deck Collapse. There, the owner’s building underwent a 40 year re- certification but steered the engineering team away from the deck because the county ordinance was “vague” on its applicability to decks.
The deck collapsed while customers were enjoying a Heat Finals game in 2013. Meanwhile, the building was undergoing structural upgrades. Not the deck. PWD led 50 lawyers in pursuit of the truth. PWD successfully obtained an order on punitive damages. We are honored to say that we effected change. Now, all decks attached to a commercial structure must be certified as well.