Heavy Storms Wreak Havoc In Miami Area, Increase Car Accident Risks
While many people visit Miami for the warm weather, spring and summer are unpredictable when it comes to heavy storms. Even seemingly minor amounts of precipitation can result in widespread flooding and make local roads treacherous. In the aftermath of recent storms, several major car accidents were reported throughout the area. With hurricane season right around the corner, our Miami car accident lawyer offers some tips to help reduce the risks.
Rainy Weather Creates hazards For Local Drivers
Recent heavy storms in South Florida wreaked havoc across several counties. Numerous crashes were reported, including one involving a Brightline train in Broward County. According to an April 13, 2023 Miami New Times report, the crash happened when a car-carrier truck got stuck on the tracks in Hollywood, directly in the path of the oncoming train. The crash is still under investigation but, fortunately, no injuries were reported.
According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), adverse weather is one of the most common contributing factors in car accidents and other types of crashes. Of all the possible weather-related conditions that can make roads treacherous, rain is the most dangerous. Common impacts it can cause for drivers include:
- Slick roads, making skidding and hydroplaning more likely;
- Reduced tire traction, making it harder to keep a grip on the road;
- Brake functioning, making it harder to stop suddenly;
- Visibility issues, making it more difficult to see other motorists on the road.
Preventing Car Accidents During Rainy Weather
Never underestimate the impact weather conditions can have on driving ability and vehicle operations. Even relatively small amounts of rain in local forecasts can create problems that increase the risk of car accidents in Miami. To protect yourself, your passengers, and others on the road and prevent potentially life-threatening personal injuries, the American Automobile Association (AAA) recommends following these tips:
- Check the weather forecast before heading out if you have any concerns about the weather;
- Make sure your tires and brakes are in good condition and address any maintenance issues immediately, especially during the spring and summer hurricane season;
- If it is raining, use caution and give other motorists plenty of space;
- In heavy downpours, go slower than the speed limit and consider pulling over if your visibility is severely limited;
- Brake well in advance and avoid any sudden maneuvers when driving;
- Avoid driving through puddles when possible, which can be deeper than they appear.
Request A Consultation With Our Miami Car Accident Lawyer
Heavy storms and rainy weather increase the risk of car accidents in Miami. However, in most of these cases, reckless behavior on the part of other drivers involved is ultimately to blame. If you are involved in any type of crash or collision, get Pita Weber Del Prado on your side. We help you hold at-fault motorists accountable so that you can get the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. To request a consultation, call 305-670-2889 or contact our Miami car accident lawyer online today.