Burn Injury Awareness: Common Causes Of Burn Injuries In Miami And How To Get Compensation
Burns are one of the most painful types of injuries. They can take long months to recover from, require extensive medical treatment, and may result in permanent scarring and disfigurement. Our Miami personal injury lawyer explains some of the most common causes of burn injuries and how to get the compensation you need to recover if you or someone you love is a victim.
February Is Burn Injury Awareness Month
According to the American Burn Association, roughly half a million people are victims of burn injuries each year. In order to call attention to the risks and potentially prevent them from happening, February is designated as National Burn Awareness Month. Burn injuries in Miami can happen due to open fires and flames, coming into contact with hot fluids, foods, or surfaces, exposure to hazardous and corrosive chemicals, and a lack of sun protection. Among the most common ways in which they occur include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car accidents involving drivers, passengers, cyclists, or pedestrians can leave victims suffering severe and potentially life-threatening burn injuries in Miami.
- Sports and recreational activities: Burn injuries are common when boating, camping, riding motorcycles or engaging in other activities. They can also happen while attending local events or participating in sports due to excessive sun exposure.
- Property fires: One of the most common causes of Miami burn injuries, fires in hotels, resorts, restaurants, and other venues throughout the area pose serious risks.
- Job-related burns: Whether you work in hospitality, construction, manufacturing or other industries, contact with fire, heat, or chemicals could cause serious personal injuries.
Get The Compensation You Need To Recover From Burn Injuries In Miami
The Mayo Clinic explains how burn injuries are categorized based on the degree to which they penetrate the skin and potentially impact underlying tissues, internal organs, and entire body systems. First-degree burns affect only the outer layer of skin, but are still incredibly painful and can result in permanent scarring. Second and third-degree burns penetrate down through the epidermis and can result in major disfigurement, loss of feeling or movement, life-threatening infections, and loss of vital body functions.
When burn injuries in Miami happen due to negligence on the part of others involved, you have the right to hold them accountable either by submitting a claim to their insurer or filing a personal injury lawsuit against them. Compensation you may be entitled to includes:
- Coverage of your current and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Future losses in income and benefits due to long-term disabilities;
- Additional amounts for pain, suffering, scarring, and disfigurement, as well as for loss of enjoyment in the aftermath.
Request A Consultation With Our Miami Personal Injury Lawyer
At Pita Weber Del Prado, we help victims of burn injuries in Miami get the compensation they are entitled to. Call 305-670-2889 or contact us online and request a consultation with our Miami personal injury lawyer today.