What To Do When Personal Injuries Happen: Protecting Your Rights In A Product Liability Claim
As a consumer, you take it for granted that the products you purchase are safe. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Dangerous and defective items are a leading cause of personal injuries. Our Miami product liability lawyer explains what you need to know about filing a product liability claim.
Dangerous And Defective Products A Common Cause of Personal Injuries
With the mass production of so many items and efforts on the part of manufacturers to cut costs, products you purchase have the potential to be unsafe. Warnings and recalls regarding dangerous and defective products are issued each day by the Consumer Public Safety Commission (CPSC). Unfortunately, this is typically not until after numerous personal injuries are reported.
Clothing, household supplies, recreational equipment, vehicles, children’s toys, and medical devices are all at the top of recall lists. Serious personal injuries can happen due to any of the following:
- Failing to provide proper instructions and warning labels;
- Manufacturing errors or mistakes;
- Bypassing standard safety and regulatory practices;
- Dangerous modifications on the part of re-sellers.
Filing A Product Liability Claim
Under the Florida Statutes, designers, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors can all be held liable for damages you suffer when personal injuries happen due to dangerous and defective products. In cases where there are mass injuries, you may even be entitled to compensation under federal laws through a class action lawsuit.
To protect your rights in seeking compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur, follow these tips:
- Keep receipts for all products you purchase;
- Seal any defective products in the box and keep them in a safe place;
- Take photos of the product and your injuries;
- Jot down all the details you remember about the accident, including when and how it occurred;
- Seek medical care immediately for personal injuries;
- Make sure the doctor records how your injuries happened;
- Follow instructions regarding follow-up care and activity restrictions;
- Contact the manufacturer as soon as possible;
- Report the incident to the CPSC and the Florida Department of Health.
In the aftermath, you may be contacted by the manufacturer or distributor and their attorneys. Before making any statements or signing any documents, reach out to our Miami product liability attorneys first.
Contact Our Miami Product Liability Lawyers Today
Dangerous and defective products can leave you suffering serious personal injuries. You may be entitled to hold designers, manufacturers, distributors, and others involved responsible for the damages you suffer as a result.
To get the total amount of compensation you need to offset medical expenses and other losses, get our Miami product liability lawyers on your side. At Pita Weber Del Prado, we can thoroughly review your case and advise you on the best course of action in filing a claim. To find out more about your rights in this situation and how to protect yourself, reach out and call 305-670-2889 or contact our office online and request an initial consultation today.